- Arecibo Observatory to Offer New Opportunities for Visiting Scientists14 Nov, 2019
- Arecibo Observatory Open House at the 235th AAS meeting28 Oct, 2019
- UCF to Enhance Arecibo Observatory’s Computing Power Using Microsoft Azure17 Oct, 2019
- Arecibo Observatory Gets $19 Million NASA Grant to Help Protect Earth from Asteroids29 Sep, 2019
- National Science Foundation Awards Arecibo Observatory $12.3 Million Grant29 Sep, 2019
- El Observatorio de Arecibo celebra el regreso a clases con nuevas exhibiciones 30 Aug, 2019
- Asteroid Arrives Early for Puerto Rico’s Asteroid Day Celebrations28 Jun, 2019
- Our Telescope Operations Manager was recently awarded with the Yasme Excellence Award.19 Jun, 2019
- GBO/AO Single Dish and Observer Training Workshops04 Jun, 2019
- Alex Wolszczan discusses Arecibo’s potential in the field of exoplanets14 Mar, 2019
- Observ-a-thon reveals comet nucleus, holiday asteroid, and more!28 Dec, 2018
- New Arecibo Message 16 Nov, 2018
- El Observatorio de Arecibo celebra el regreso a clases con nuevas exhibiciones 20 Aug, 2018
- Arecibo Observatory to Get $5.8 Million Upgrade to Expand View17 Aug, 2018
- 2018 REU&T Recap 15 Aug, 2018
- Arecibo Call for Proposals06 Aug, 2018
Byadmin19 June 2019 Press Note
|News||June 13, 2019|
Our Telescope Operations Manager was recently awarded with the Yasme Excellence Award. This award is made by the Yasme Foundation - Non Profit corporation organized to support scientific and educational projects related to amateur radio - in recognition of technical. operating, and organization achievements in and contributions to amateur radio. Yasme's mission is to support scientific and educational projects related to amateur radio, including DXing and the introduction and promotion of amateur radio in developing countries.
The Yasme foundation was interested in recognizing the work that Mr. Vazquez did after Hurricane Maria in providing disaster recovery communications to the citizens of Puerto Rico, as well as, working with federal agencies to facilitate relief operations. Angel M. Vazquez, has been the Telescope Operations and Spectrum Manager for the Arecibo Observatory for about 30+ years.
YASME Excellence Award - Crystal Globe received by mail on June 13, 2019
The person giving me the award is Ward Silver N0AX, President of the Yasme Foundation. In the audience was Jim Breakall (WA3FET) and Joe Taylor (K1JT)
"I just wanted to extend my congratulations to Angel Vásquez/WP3R for the award he received from the Yasme Foundation - for his work in disaster relief, and as an outstanding ambassador for amateur radio.” - Dr. Kelly Elizabeth Fast
Near-Earth Object Observations Program Manager
The YASME foundation was established 1960 and named after the legendary yacht "Yasme", the boat that took DXpeditioner Danny Weil to many remote places from which he operated amateur radio, sometimes for the very first time.Initially the main purpose of the YASME Foundation was to help raise money for Danny's expeditions and to organize the distribution of his QSL cards. Danny was one of the first to travel to more than one location to operate, and to travel from place to place, often solo in a sailboat and lugging hundreds of pounds of radio equipment, specifically to provide DXers with a ‘new one’. When Weil retired from amateur radio, the foundation closely cooperated with the radio expeditions of Lloyd and Iris Colvin. Lloyd and Iris perfected the DXpedition and took it into the modern age in the 1970s and 1980s, with operations from more than 100 countries, using modern transport methods and state of the artradio equipment. More Information available et the Yasme’s official website [https://www.yasme.org/].
Arecibo Media Contact
About Arecibo Observatory
The Arecibo Observatory is operated by the University of Central Florida (UCF) in partnership with Sistema Ana G. Mendez Universidad Metropolitana and Yang Enterprises Inc., under a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Keywords: maria, ham, yasme, vazquez, angel, radio